Workers’ Compensation for Construction Site Injuries

Injured on a construction job site? Maybe a co-worker accidentally hit you with a tool. Or maybe it was caused by a piece of dangerous equipment. Whatever the cause, you may have an injury that needs medical care. And you may need some time off work to recover. You will likely have medical bills and maybe even lost pay. So what should you do?

Fortunately, Alabama’s workers’ compensation system may provide for payment of your medical bills and at least partial payment of lost wages, providing your claim is approved.

Protect All Your Rights by Immediately Filing Your Compensation Claim

The process for obtaining workers’ comp benefits can seem daunting to many. If you have a problem, such as the denial of your claim, you should contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney like those at Clay, Massey & Associates, to ensure your rights are being protected and that you’re receiving the maximum benefits possible for your care and recovery.

Here are the critical steps you need to follow after seeking necessary emergency medical care:

  • Immediately after the injury report the injury to your supervisor and obtain the name and contact information of the doctor who will examine your injury. You must notify your employer within five days after the incident, but you should do it immediately
  • Your employer can either accept or deny liability. If it accepts liability, it will file the necessary workers’ comp form for your claim with the department. If it denies liability, you should consult a workers’ compensation attorney.
  • Typically the employer chooses your doctor for the initial examination, except during emergency situations. This doctor will refer you to a specialist if necessary.

What Can I Recover If My Workers’ Compensation Claim is Approved?

• If the claim is approved, the employer must pay all medical bills related to your injury.
• In addition to medical benefits, you may be entitled to compensatory benefits for lost wages. Depending on the severity of your injury and your success with the claim, they may be temporary partial, temporary total, permanent partial, and permanent total.
• The amount of compensatory benefit is determined by workers’ compensation tables based on your wages prior to the injury.
• Alabama has a 3-day waiting period for disability pay. If your disability keeps you out of work for more than 21 days, you should qualify to receive 3-days of back pay.

Can I Make Other Claims for My Injuries?

You may be able to file a claim against a third party who caused your injury. If you believe someone other than your employer caused or contributed to your injuries, you should contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney as soon as possible after your injury.

We have handled hundreds of workplace injuries, including injuries resulting from accidents occurring on construction sites, manufacturing sites and a broad range of other locations. Do not accept a Workers’ Compensation insurer’s low-ball offer. Contact our firm for a FREE initial consultation regarding your full legal rights following a workplace accident, 251-433-1000.