Car accidents disrupt lives, whether temporarily or for the duration of the injured person’s life. Residents and non-residents involved in an automobile accident in Alabama must follow state rules and regulations. This article contains important requirements and also helpful hints based on our experience representing people involved in car wrecks in Mobile, Alabama.
Safety First After an Automobile Accident in Alabama
- Do not leave the scene of the accident even if the accident seems minor. You break the law if you leave which could cause you to lose your license.
- Stay calm.
- Call 911 for an ambulance if you, or anyone else, is injured.
- Aid the injured if possible, but wait for medical personnel before moving the injured.
- If possible, move your vehicle safely out of the way of traffic.
Gather Important Information Now About the Alabama Automobile Accident
- Again, stay calm. The information you obtain after a car wreck may help you recover damages if you are injured or protect you against claims by others.
- Do not admit fault by saying words like “I am so sorry.”
- Do not get in a confrontation with the other driver.
- Under Alabama law, you and other involved drivers must exchange the following information:
- Name, address, and contact details.
- Driver license number
- License plate number
- Automobile insurance information
- If possible, take photographs of all vehicles in the accident, as well as the area where the accident occurred.
- Get the names and contact information of all witnesses and make notes of any statements they make.
- Do not make statements about the accident to anyone except law enforcement officers or your attorney.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer if You or a Loved One Was Injured in an Alabama Automobile Accident
Insurance companies will typically attempt to settle claims for the least amount possible. You can benefit greatly by contacting an automobile accident lawyer at Clay, Massey & Associates as soon as possible after the accident, and before you discuss the accident with insurance companies.
Our experienced personal injury lawyers can help make sure you receive the compensation you need and deserve, including collecting damages for personal injuries, pain and suffering, lost wages, medical bills, and vehicle damage. In one of our recent cases, the insurance company offered $65,000 to settle a case involving serious back and neck injuries. Our representation resulted in a jury verdict of $181,000 in our client’s favor.
When you need legal help following an auto accident, it pays to contact an experienced lawyer like those at Clay, Massey & Associates. Conveniently located in downtown Mobile, Alabama, we offer FREE initial consultations, and are available for hospital or home visits if you are unable to come to us. Just give us a call at 251-433-1000 to get started, or click the Live Chat link on our website!