Foley, AL (November 10, 2022) – A man was hospitalized following a hit-and-run accident that took place in the Foley area on Monday evenings. The Foley Police Department responded to the scene at around nine p.m.
According to reports, on November 1, a 21-year-old man was riding a bicycle on 9th Avenue between South McKenzie Street and Pine Street when he was struck by a passing motorist.
The bicyclist suffered severe injuries as a result of the crash. He was airlifted from the scene of the accident and flown to Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, where he underwent emergency surgery.
The crash remains under investigation by the Foley Police Department at this time.
We hope the man injured as a result of this bicycle accident is able to recover quickly.
Bicycle Accidents in Alabama
Bicycle accidents take place every day in the United States. Unfortunately, many of them result in injuries for those involved. Bicyclists are particularly vulnerable to suffering injuries and accidents due to the fact that they typically only have helmets to protect them. As a result, many bicyclists require emergency surgery after their accidents. Common injuries from bike crashes in Alabama include:
- Head injuries, including concussions and skull fractures
- Neck and back injuries, including spinal cord damage
- Broken bones
- Internal organs damage
- Lacerations and road rash
These and other injuries are often a result of crashes caused by drivers who are negligent. Some leading causes of bicycle accidents in our state include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is a dangerous behavior that’s becoming more and more common. We see many people harmed and accidents caused by drivers who are texting on their phone or talking or engaging in other actions that take their attention off the road.
- Speeding: Speed is a factor in many vehicle crashes involving bicycles. A driver may not be able to stop in time if they’re going too fast, or they may misjudge a turn and hit a cyclist.
- Failure to yield: Drivers who fail to yield the right of way to bicyclists are a major cause of crashes. This can happen when a driver is turning right and doesn’t see the oncoming bicyclist, or when a driver is switching lanes or pulling out of the driveway.
If you have been hurt as a result of an automobile accident, there may be legal options available to help you move forward. Reaching out to a Foley bicycle accident lawyer can help to ensure you are able to get justice.
Our team at Clay, Massey & Associates has extensive experience helping bicyclists protect their legal rights following accidents. Our team will help you build a solid place and proof that the defendant is at fault for your pain and suffering. We will demand timely compensation to cover your medical costs and a variety of other damages you face. Contact our personal injury lawyers today at 251-433-1000 to get started.
Notes: Our writers utilize secondary sources to create this post. All of the circumstances surrounding this accident have not been independently verified by our staff, therefore, if you locate any information that is not correct, please contact Clay, Massey & Associates immediately so that we can correct the post to reflect the most accurate information available. The post can be removed by request.
Disclaimer: None of the information provided in this post is intended to be legal advice or medical advice. The photo used in this post was not taken at the accident scene described. This post is not intended to be a solicitation for business.